The Breaking Dawn!

Friday, February 17, 2012

"It was the best of times...it was the worst of times."

This is a story.  A story of a boy.  A boy... and his autism. (Cue dramatic music "Dun, dun, duuun!")

OK.  So, that really isn't my style.  I can have my major moments of major drama (side eye glance to the Hubby-he betta not say a WORD!) but generally I feel like we have enough stories like that associated with autism out there.  I promise that on this blog you and I will follow the development of a very interesting project spearheaded by a brave little guy we call Jojo.  He has alot of challenges, but the truth is the most challenged person in his story is his mom (that would be ME)!  I am currently the only Instructor Therapist (I.T.)working in The Dawn Program for Autism here in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.  My supervisor is Ms. Tameika Meadows, M.Ed. (see http://iloveaba.blogspot.com) and she writes all the program curriculum for our little wunderkind whom she has dubbed "Li'l Galileo".  The mantra of this blog is simple, "If I can do it, YOU can do it!"  We hope to encourage our fellow home programmers out there and share the mundane and profound experience of navigating our way through the spectrum.  With that said: LET'S GO!

This is Li'l Galileo:


This is Li'l Galileo in sugar induced euphoria:

This is Li'l Galileo's opinion of sugar induced cavity:

Alrighty then.  The first rule of having a child with autism should be, "Never let a child with sensory integration issues develop a cavity!"  The truth is, I think the first rule is "Never feed them sugar." or "Always double check the molars when brushing." or something like that.  Maybe if I had read those, I would not need the one I made up....hmmm....logging that away for later....
Anyway, I am trying to figure out who dropped the ball on this one.  Was it the I.T. or was it the mom?  No matter which way you slice it, there is a cavernous hole in Jojo's left molar and we need an intervention.  I am already breaking into a cold sweat imagining his reaction to bright lights, needles and the sound of a drill.  For spectrum babies, the world is one big technicolor acid trip! Florescent lights are enough to send my kid into LaLa Land....and now I will have to subject him to an experience at the tender age of 4 which I am CERTAIN will scar him for LIFE! He will be a walking posterboy for preschooler angst! Sigh......why do I feel the need to listen to my "Jagged Little Pill" album? More as it comes, y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment