The Breaking Dawn!

Monday, February 20, 2012

"Eye of the Tiger!"

Here we go....the moment of truth.....why do I feel like Adrienne watching Rocky get in the ring with Apollo Creed?  As Devon, who is suffering from a sprained ankle after a vicious game of basketball Saturday night, limps my boy into his destiny, I can't help but hearing that ridiculous "Rocky" soundtrack revolve in my mind like a haunting reverie of synthesizer and screaming electric guitar rifs!  The part that sends me into complete palpitations is knowing that Rocky ALWAYS took a genuine butt beating before managing to somehow secure a contract to do just one...more ....sequel.  So, if the dentist happens to be Mr. T, a flashy showman with a bro-fro or a blood thirsty Russian....we are totally screwed.


OK.  We are in the chair and that annoying bright light is full blast in our boy's face!  I am relatively sure that if there were any truth to the stories of people being abducted by UFO's, this would be the face they give as John Q. Alien beams them up.  Side note: yes, that is actually an old program from church service that Galileo is holding.  I guess he thought reviewing some encouraging words from our pastor would ease his troubled soul.  I don't think the Lord grants deliverance from dental procedures on random request....there is a queue.


Seriously?! At this point, I am incredulous at this boy's ability to find sensory addictions in ANY situation!!  The little air blowing thingy, which due to my ignorance of the proper titles for dentistry tools we will call "Air Puff", became an instant hit.  Though originally intended to help blast the remaining saltine craker bits out of the abyss that our dentist casually called a "rather superficial" cavity, Jo realized its potential for hours of pleasure immediately!  "I want air puff, please!", became the anthem for the afternoon.  Poor Doc was powerless to resist the persuasive prowess of a spectrumed up 4 year old!


Here is where there was a momentary pause in the action.  Like the eye of a hurricane there was an eerie peace in the office.  The cavity was cleaned out and ready for resolution. Doc explained that he would simply fill the offensive gap without drilling as he always likes to start young children with the least invasive procedures first and only graduate from there if needed.  I smiled smuggly. "Yeah, right, Doc!", I thought to myself.  "My son has punked you ROYALLY!"  "You don't wanna risk an index nail diggin' any further in there than needed!" Then, like a tiger pouncing on its prey, Doc burst into action taking us all by storm!! 3 minutes, 2 cotton rolls, some filling, a really weird blue light saber that I SWEAR was like Luke Skywalker's and one 4 year old squirming for his LIFE later.....


SUCCESS!!
We will discuss what Mommy has learned from this experience in the sequel, "Rocky XX: Rocky Goes to Vegas"

1 comment: